Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cheap Eats :: Creamy Garlic Pasta


I found this recipe on Pinterest a couple months ago and it quickly became a family favorite around here. For me, it's how fast and easy it pulls together. For them, it's the amazing taste!

My son, the picky one, always gobbles up every last bite and asks for seconds. My daughter, the baby who eats everything, loves it enough to grunt for more. The husband, who isn't the biggest eater, will eat a heaping bowlful happily. It's a guaranteed crowd pleaser...and a joy to make. I have the recipe memorized now, I've made it THAT much.

Tonight, I made it with an added element...chicken breast. I know, I know...chicken breast?! From the dark meat lady?! Well, to be fair...I was gifted the chicken breast by my sweet cousin who brought me some groceries after an especially bad day. I already had creamy garlic pasta in the menu and thought the chicken would be a nice treat! (Thanks cuz!)

Otherwise, this makes a fantastic meatless (not vegan) meat.

It's feeds 3-4 people with no leftovers. If you have big eaters, I suggest doubling it. We are not big portion types, so this is perfect for my family of two adults/two kids.

Creamy Garlic Pasta + Chicken

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic; minced
2 Tbs butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 c chicken stock water +
2 tsp chicken bouillon
8 oz angel hair pasta
1 c grated  shredded parmesan cheese
3/4 c heavy cream
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
---
2 thin chicken breasts (hammered thin or sliced thin)
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions
Pasta


1. In a pot, bring the olive oil to medium-low heat. Add the garlic and stir, allowing it to cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the salt, pepper, water + bouillon. Raise the heat to high and let it come to a boil.


3. Once it is at a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook until tender.
4. Reduce the stove to medium heat and mix in the parmesan until completely melted.


5. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream. Serve immediately.

Chicken
1. Coat chicken in oil and season


2. Heat skillet or griddle to med-high
3. Cook chicken while pasta cooks turning half-way through (about 8 mins on each side)
4. Cook until chicken is no longer pink
5. Slice and divide among pasta bowls.



3 comments:

  1. I made this last night for my family. Wow! I can see how this can be a family favorite and I can tell it will be with my family as well. Very rich and creamy and delicious. Thanks for the tasty recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think regular whole milk would be ok to use instead of heavy cream? its pricey here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard adding melted butter to whole milk is a sub for heavy cream.

      Delete