Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Treat Eats :: Tri-tip in the Oven


I'm starting a new category "Treat Eats" for when it's time to "Treat Yo'self". Sometimes I carve out a little extra cash and cut some corners from other meals so we can have something special. This month, it was the summer favorite, Tri-tip!

At Costco, which arguably has some of the better prices for meats, I got it for $5.99/lb. For 2 Tri-tip roasts, it's was $23.42.


That's not cheap eats, by any means.

I'm used to grilling my tri-tip, I have a system, it works beautifully. Problem is, in my current home, has a strict HOA and barbecue grills are forbidden. (Condos...*eye-roll*)

So in the heat of the summer, my choices are go to the lake/river or the park to grill outside or use my oven. Since I'm not planning to take my tri-tip on a vacay this time, the oven it is.

First step to tri-tip is the rub or marinade. I'm normally a rub girl, but I decided since I'm roasting this bad boy for the first time, I'll go with the marinade method.

Tri-Tip Marinade




1 white onion coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper


1. Add all ingredients to blender, food processor or like me your stick blender measuring cup and puree ingredients.
2. Add tri-tip and marinade to a gallon sized zip-top bag and seal, removing as much air as possible
3. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.


Roasting Instructions
1. Let roast come to room temp on the counter for about an hour before roasting.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Place the roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan so air can circulate around the entire roast.
4. Place roast in the oven and roast, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes
5. Remove from the oven and cover with foil. Let the meat stand for 15 minutes, which will bring the temperature up to 145 degrees F (medium rare) after standing.
*for a medium done roast, go 40-45 minutes
6. After your meat has rested, cut into thin slices against the grain







No comments:

Post a Comment