Saturday, June 1, 2013

Live Cheap :: Don't Buy Paper Towels

Live Cheap :: Don't Buy Paper Towels

I have spent the last few years trying to reduce the spending in my home. I hated blowing so much money on sundries (def: Miscellaneous small items, usually of no large value and too numerous to mention separately).
I especially scoffed at the huge price tag on paper goods. Firstly, we all know that from an environmental standpoint, paper products are all bad. Even the recycled stuff isn't ideal. Secondly, I plain old hate waste. Popping off a paper towel for every time I washed my hands or to clean a small spill...it hurt me...I HATE it!
So a few years ago, I decided to stop buying them and figure out how to live without them. I do buy paper napkins for meals (for now...I'll be transitioning to cloth napkins as soon as I learn to sew properly.).

Live Cheap :: Don't Buy Paper Towels
Bar Mops via Target
So, what do I use?
  • Bar mops - for my counters [$3.99 for 6 at Target]
  • Rags - for furniture and bathrooms [made from old t-shirts or towels or purchase at the dollar store]
  • Flour Sack Towels - for kitchen tasks and hand drying [about the same as bar mops in price]

I keep an old trash can in my closet (by the hamper) and I toss the soiled ones in there. When I run out, I wash the load on hot with borax or bleach for tough stains. 

Not buying paper towels can save you conservatively around $150 a year depending on the size of your family. Having that extra $10-15 extra every month adds up. And the hassle of doing a load of laundry about once a week...not a big deal at all! You are doing laundry anyway!
Live Cheap will feature things I do in my own home to cut back on my monthly budget.  Look forward to tips on your keeping the cost of  running your house in check while wasting less, using less chemicals and doing a bang up job of keeping your house clean and well maintained...on the cheap.


2 comments:

  1. thank you for post.I buy towels online with no complains.we get good range and designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have access to second hand or estate places, you can usually get napkins really cheaply.

    ReplyDelete