Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cheap Eats :: Pork Fried Rice

I recently was taken to Benihana for my birthday by my parents. It reminded me of how much I like freshly made fried rice! Also, watching the chef make it in front of me made me realize how easy it is to make!
Ever since, I have been looking at recipes online trying to find one that matched up with the ingredients I already had on hand.
I found a close match here. Aside from chicken (I had a frozen pork chop), not having frozen veggies, but I had some carrots, and not having green onions but a red one...everything else was a go!
So I defrosted my pork chop and chopped up my veggies and broke out my brand new wok (birthday prez) and went to work.

Pork Fried Rice
Serves 4

Ingredients
2-3 cups Cooked Rice (leftovers or cooked ahead and cooled to room temp)
1 pork chop - diced and seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped carrots (or 1/2 frozen or fresh veg of choice)
1 tbs of water
1 med red onion - finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
dash of ginger
1 egg mixed with a tsp of sesame oil (beaten)
3-4 teaspoons sesame or wok oil, divided
3 Tablespoons soy sauce mixed with...
1 tbs of brown sugar (dark or light)


Directions
1. Heat a teaspoon of oil in the wok on high
2. Add meat and cook for 3-5 minutes until cooked through (remove to plate)


 3. Add another teaspoon of oil to wok and add veggies, saute 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent and carrots are getting tender(add tbs of water during saute to help the carrots along)
4. Add garlic and ginger to veggies and saute for another minute.


5. Push veggies to the side and add egg beaten with oil and scramble a bit
6. Mix veggies and egg
7. Toss in the rice and soy sauce (mixed with brown sugar) and combine all ingredients. Make sure to break up all the clumps of rice and combine it with the sauce well


8. Toss the meat in and mix well
9. Remove from heat and serve!


Seriously, this was soooo good! My  rice was a little overcooked and mushy...but it tasted so good, I didn't care! It was a hit with the huz too. He said I should add it to the regular rotation...so yeah, do it!

2 comments:

  1. Just made this for dinner...it was delicious! Thanks for the easy (& inexpensive!) recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this for dinner! It was delicious :) Thanks for the easy (& cheap!) recipe :)

    ReplyDelete